The Right Confidence
Introducing Dr. Hal Movius and Movius Consulting
Negotiation is a daily reality in most of our lives. Whether it is a big-time business deal or bargaining with a five-year-old over bedtime, negotiation is a fact of life. There is a pervasive belief that some of us are better negotiators based on personality and confidence but according to today’s guest this is just not the case.
Dr. Hal Movius is an applied psychologist, negotiation and leadership coach, consultant, trainer, author, and researcher in the field of negotiation. For five years, he taught a course on negotiation at Harvard University and he currently consults Fortune 500 leaders. Hal’s focus is on how leaders and teams can protect relationships and be collaborative and creative when they are under intense competitive pressures on in situations where the one side has more power than the other.
Check out this episode of the Boiling Point to see how you could sharpen your negotiating game.
In this episode
- Stephen Kopp is back co-hosting with Greg.
- We are introduced to Hal and his work.
- Hal tells us why personality is not the determining factor on how well you can negotiate.
- We learn how situational factors play into negotiation with an example from a college experiment.
- Greg tells us how he reset the context from competition to collaboration at a recent event he attended.
- Hal tells us about his previous book, “Built to Win” and how even after learning the correct skills it can still be difficult to negotiate in practice.
- We learn about Hal’s new book “Resolve: Negotiating Life’s Conflicts with Greater Confidence”
- There is a discussion on how over confidence in negotiations can be a detriment.
- Hal tells us about the right type of confidence to have in negotiation.
- Stephen brings up how new companies can often underestimate their worth and we hear how some tech entrepreneurs have the opposite issue.
- Hal give us an example of using executive pens to illustrate the endowment effect.
- We learn that negotiation is learned and not something you are born with.
- Stephen realizes how many negotiations you have in a given day.
- Greg sees confidence is important yet risky.
- Movius Consulting Website
- "Resolve: Negotiating Life's Conflicts with Greater Confidence" on Amazon
- "Built to Win: Creating a World-class Negotiating Organization" on Amazon
- Hal on Linked In
- Hal on Facebook
- Email Hal
Direct download: BP143DrHalMovius.mp3
-- posted at: 11:33am EDT